Aadhar Card is one of the most powerful tools for an Indian citizen which serves as both POI (Proof of Identity) and as POA (Proof of Address). It is a 12 digit unique identification number issued by UIDAI. The Government of India is laying some groundwork in giving Aadhar Card for NRI and the intent of Planning Ministry of India seems that in the very near future Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) will also be made eligible to get this unique ID of their own.
The procedure involved would be exactly similar to the initial process that is being followed by the residents of India as per the reports coming in so far.
Know more about How Indian Residents Can Get Aadhar Card? – Click Here
Is Getting Aadhar Card for NRI Possible in India?
As per the latest update on the matter, there’s a chance of extending the eligibility of the Aadhar Card for NRI, POIs (Person of Indian Origin) and also for OCIs (Overseas Citizenship of India).
In fact, UIDAI (Universal Identification Authority of India) is working on the best possible strategy that will enable NRIs to get endorsed for the unique ID. This surely would turn out to be a boon to all those who are trying to get a unique ID from India. As of now Aadhar Cards are being issued solely to people who are permanent residents of India. It’s not for Non-Residents of India(NRIs). But there a few things which do point to a possibility of Aadhar Cards being issued to NRIs, sooner than later.
- Prime Minister aspires that this powerful identification card be also given to NRIs same way as they are being issued to the residents of India.
- No resolution has been made as the discussions are taking place, “I hope you’ll hear regarding it as early as possible “, said Sushma Swaraj Minister External Affairs.
How and When Can NRIs Apply For Aadhar Card?
- In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Planning Minister of India, Rao Inderjit Singh explicitly mentioned there is no precise timeframe that is assigned for the initiation as well as the expansion of Aadhar Card registration to NRIs and POI/OCIs.
- And even, he had just made it obvious that the operation has already started and Ministry alongside UIDAI (Universal Identification Authority of India) will make sure that all steps are taken to implement the idea of Aadhar Card for NRI without any flaw in its flow.
- And very soon the question: ‘How can NRIs apply for Aadhar Card’ would be answered in positive, on condition that the Ministry commits to the idea and makes sure that the method of Aadhar Card for NRI application is initiated with no errors and downsides.
Advantages of Aadhar Card For NRI and Indians:
Aadhar Card has a bundle of benefits to those who own it. Not only as a Unique ID Aadhar Card acts as a gateway for Government bodies to directly process the benefits transfer.
You can see all the Benefits of Getting and Aadhar Card – Here
Some of the benefits are shared below:
- This Unique Identification Card even helps you to obtain Government Pensions/ Scholarships faster since the verification can be done faster.
- Aadhar Card can be used to obtain a telephone connection.
- Aadhar Card helps in faster processing of subsidies enables the cashback or reward to get deposited directly to beneficiary bank account. Link Aadhar to Bank Account.
- For LPG connection and subsidies. Link Aadhar to LPG connection.
So when Aadhar Card for NRI is implemented, it will not only benefit the applicant but also the dependent family members to experience a very simplified and easier procedure while going through government – related works that consume a lot of our valuable time.
Prime Minister Modi in his speech Madison Square USA expressed his affection towards NRIs, he said, “Your achievements in the countries of your adoption are a matter of pride… It is our responsibility to protect you and take care of you. Indeed, we are you and you are us.” This shows positive attitude of Government towards getting things done for NRIs, Aadhar Card for NRIs is one of that.
Therefore, if everything goes well, we will experience a right policy that enables NRI’s get an Aadhar Card which would similar to the one the residents of India get. It might surely help in strengthening the bond of the a Nation with its own citizens living abroad.
Hope you found what you are looking for. Read more. Thank you!! Have a great day!!!