UIDAI is acronym for Unique Identification Authority of India UIDAI, a central government agency. It is attached to NITI Aayog (Planning Commission of before) which was earlier known as Planning Commission of India. The main objective of UIDAI is to have a repository of demographic details and biometric prints of every Indian citizen and to issue a 12 digit Aadhaar identification number to every individual.
Initially, Aadhaar was created to plug loopholes in the system and to tackle the issues of infiltration across borders. UIDAI is responsible for planning and implementing UID scheme, owning and operating the UID databases along with updating them. The Aadhaar scheme lays down the framework of interlinking UID databases with partner databases and policies regarding its usage and its update.
Aadhaar cards can be used as a nationally valid ID and also while availing services like LPG services, SIM card issue, opening of Bank accounts etc. To make Aadhaar easily accessible to the citizens of Indian, UIDAI has an operational website of Unique Identification Authority of India UIDAI, Gov. of India. This website is very easy to use and makes all the functions related to Aadhaar very easy for the citizens.
UIDAI – A Brief about What is UID and EID?
UIDAI issues an Aadhaar card also called Aadhaar letter which contains the 12- digit Unique Identification (UID) number.
- UID is also referred as Aadhaar number.
- The number is a combination of 12 digits issued randomly.
- The first Aadhaar number was issued in September 2010.
- Aadhaar number is linked with information of the citizen like Address, Date of Birth, Photograph and Fingerprints.
What is EID?
Enrollment ID also called as Enrolment number is a 28 digit numeric combination which is generated at the time of enrolment.
The format of the Enrolment number is given as:
- First 4 digits EA code or the Enrolment Agency Code
- Next 5 digit Station code
- 5 digit sequence
- Next 8 digits consist of the date of the Acknowledgment slip in the format YYYYMMDD
- This is followed by time in the format HHMMSS. This combination generates your EID.
You can get a Detailed Guide on What is Aadhar and UID – Over Here
How to Use the UIDAI Portal?
After reaching the main page of the Unique Identification Authority of India UIDAI official website, Highlights of the Aadhaar scheme is shown. On the upper corner on the right side, one can select the language he/she wants to interact with the website in.
At present the website can be viewed in 12 languages namely:
After the translation of the page, one can make a selection from the options on the right side if you are interested in knowing more about the Aadhaar scheme and UIDAI.
One can directly go to their area of interest after selecting the options in ‘I am’ drop down menu.
In the right side lower corner Aadhaar services like options like enrollment, download etc. of Aadhaar is available.
Both UID and EID are crucial for obtaining Aadhaar card and attempting any changes in the UIDAI portal. However if you lose it there are ways to retrieve them mentioned in the following sections.
How to Find UID or EID of Aadhar Card by Name? – Click Here
UIDAI or Aadhar Kiosk – The Help Page to Answer your Queries:
This portal helps you with any services regarding the Aadhaar.
1. Enrolment Centres – Where you can enrol yourself for a UID Card:
UIDAI has not yet started online enrollment, hence for enrollment you will have to visit the registration centers in your area.
If you have not yet enrolled yourself for the Aadhaar scheme, this kiosk will provide you with every information needed.
For locating the nearest Enrollment center go to ‘Locate Enrollment Center ’.
- Here enter the name of your state, District and the locality you live in.
- It will list out the nearest Enrollment centers to you.
- For NPR states you can look at the information given below the search options.
Applying for Aadhaar card can be take a little time since the process of submitting the details along with the photographs, retina scan and fingerprints can be a little tedious.
2. Book an Appointment for Aadhar Enrolment:
However the UIDAI is trying to make the process less cumbersome by fixing appointments at selected centers. If your nearest center is one of the trial selected centers you can book an appointment online.
To Book your Appointment for Aadhar or UID Card Enrolment – Click Here
Just fill in your details along with the details of the center and your preferred timings.
Now it is also possible to reschedule the appointment.
The list of documents to be submitted for enrolment are given over here
To know more about the application forms and ways to obtain it you can click here
3. Using UIDAI Gov Check Your Aadhaar Status:
The Aadhaar kiosk also offers an option to check the status of your Aadhaar card. At the time of registration, you are provided with an acknowledgement slip which is used for future references.
- In case you want to check the status of your Aadhaar card – Click Here
- You have to enter the 14 digit EID
- After this enter the security code and submit.
- The status of your Aadhaar card will be displayed.
You can find a Step-by-Step Help UIDAI Gov in Status of Aadhar Card – Over Here
4. Using the UIDAI Portal for Finding Missing EID/UID:
In case you lose your Acknowledgement slip, and are not able to find the UID/ EID; the UIDAI portal can help you access your details.
- Click on the ‘Find UID/EID’ option from the menu on the left side of Aadhaar kiosk.
- Enter you name, email id and phone number correctly matching the details submitted while Aadhaar registration.
- After you enter the security code, you will be sent an OTP on the registered number.
- Enter the OTP and verify the details.
- Your EID and UID will be sent to you through a mail to your email id and an SMS to the registered mobile number.
5. Verification of Aadhar, Mobile Number and Email ID on UIDAI Portal:
If you want to verify the registered mobile number and email id, you can check it through the Aadhaar kiosk.
6. Updating your Aadhaar Details:
Unique Identification Authority of India UIDAI has provided us with a very useful mechanism for updating the details of our Aadhaar card.
You can update all your details online using the UIDAI resident portal.
- For updating your details of UID card click on ‘Update Aadhaar data’ option on the Aadhaar kiosk.
- Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal will appear.
- Incase of any doubt, all the FAQs and steps are clearly mentioned on the home page.
What you will need:
It is essential to have your mobile number, for updating your details on Aadhaar card, since the password is sent to the mobile number.
What can you Update online?
It is possible to update your Name, Gender, Address, Date of birth, Address, Mobile number and email id at through this portal.
For any other update, you will have to visit your nearest enrolment center. For any further instructions you can visit this instruction page in the SSUP portal.
Steps involved in Updating the Aadhar or UIDAI Data:
- Depending upon the field to be updates, the documents supporting the new details have to be submitted as scanned color copies. To see the list of documents which are accepted you can visit this list of valid documents.
- After you have read all the instructions and you wish to proceed with the correction/ updating, you can click here. You will be asked to enter your Aadhaar number and a text code. After this an OTP will be sent to your mobile number, which is required for proceeding further.
- If you want to update/correct your Aadhaar information through post/ offline, you can download a correction form from here and send the new filled in details through post. However it may be a longer process.
You can also refer to this Visual Guide to update the Aadhar Card Data – Click Here
- You can also track the status of your update here.
- You will be asked to enter your Aadhaar number and the URN.
If you wish to contact the authorities regarding the update/correction, you can click on the ‘Contact Us’ option on the top right corner.
7. UIDAI – Downloading e-Aadhaar Card:
You can download your Aadhaar card online through UIDAI resident portal.
For downloading, it is needless to say that your Aadhaar card must be approved. You need your Aadhaar number or enrolment number to download the e-Aadhaar.
However if you have lost either of them you can follow the steps given in the ‘Find UID/EID’ section. – Stay Logged in to the
- Once you are at the Aadhaar kiosk page, select the option – ‘Get e-Aadhaar’ and proceed.
- Follow the Steps mentioned over here to get your eAadhar Card – Click Here
After the eAadhar Download from the UIDAI Portal:
- The Aadhaar card is downloaded in the PDF format.
- The document is locked at first.
- To unlock the PDF document, you will be asked to enter a password.
- The password is the PIN code of the area you live in, the address registered in your Aadhaar details.
8. UIDAI Help for Linking your Aadhaar with Bank:
Linking your Aadhaar card to your bank has many benefits. The most important benefit of this is receiving the social welfare scheme payments and other benefits from various schemes run by the Govt. of India. Most of the Indian banks have the facility to get your Aadhaar linked with your Bank account.
There are two ways of getting your Aadhaar linked to bank:
- First is to get it linked online, through the Aadhaar Kiosk. This is comparatively faster and more convenient.
- For getting your Aadhaar linked to your bank through the Aadhaar kiosk, you must have Net banking enabled for your bank account.
- If you do not have Net banking available, you can avail the service by applying to the bank for Net banking.
- After getting Net banking enabled you can proceed to Aadhaar to your bank account.
- Once you have net banking enabled, you can proceed.
- Log in to your Net banking account and select the option ‘Update Aadhaar card details’ or ‘Aadhaar card seeding’.
- After selecting this, you will be asked to provide information regarding your Aadhaar, and other information depending upon the bank. This data is saved up in your bank database.
- The bank verifies the Aadhaar details and this process takes some time.
- Once this is successfully completed, you will be notified through an email/SMS.
- Second method is to apply for seeding of the Aadhaar with your nearest bank account. This may take you longer time.
You can also know the status of this using the Aadhaar resident portal. On the Aadhaar kiosk, select the option ‘Check your Aadhaar linking status with Bank’. You will be asked to provide your Aadhaar number and the security code. After this the status of the linking of Aadhaar with your bank will be displayed. Hence you can keep a track of your application to link the account with Aadhaar.
If you want to know more about the process of linking Aadhaar to bank account click here
9. UIDAI Portal for Enquiries, Doubts and Grievances:
Unique Identification Authority of India UIDAI has a proper system in place for any doubts or queries. On the resident portal, in the menu you can select the FAQs option to go through the common doubts and procedures.
In case you have any specific query which you want to be acknowledged, you can contact the UIDAI authorities yourself. At the top the details are shown for contacting the authorities. Also you can go to Contact option in the menu for more details and options.
In case you are not satisfied and want to register a complaint/ grievance you can do so in the Grievance Centre option from the menu. For filing a complaint, select the option ‘File Complaint’ on the right side of the menu. Here you will be taken to a form. Provide your enrolment id which will the medium of communication here. Enter details like your Name, Mobile number, email Id, Pin code and the address details.
After entering the security code you can fill in your complaint/ query. The word limit for this is 150 characters. After clicking the submit option you are done. You can now track your complaint status using the option of ‘Complaint status’ in the Grievance Centre.
UIDAI Updates on Aadhar Card:
To keep yourself update with the Aadhaar system and new features, you can keep visiting the homepage of UIDAI website. The running news headlines at the bottom of the page is very helpful. News & Media Centre is also a good way to keep updated about Aadhaar.
For those seeking career options in UIDAI, on the right side of the page is an option called ‘Current vacancies’
Aadhaar card has now become a crucial part of citizens’ identity. The UIDAI portal is user friendly and make the process even easier for all of us. Infact looking for help UIDAI GOV in Status, Application, Duplicate, Correction etc is a very easy process.
Hope this post was of help for you and able to answer all your questions and queries on Aadhar Card and UIDAI and how to use the UIDAI portal. Do visit us again, for further updates on Aadhar Card and find solutions to your queries and doubts.