The most and far most important and confusing question that is arising among the citizens of India is what is UID number? How it serves as a unique proof for oneself?
In this article we are going to educate on what is UID number? and how to obtain,update or correct the information that is associated to the particular UID number.
What is UID Number?
- Unique Identification Number generally means a unique number given to an entity that uniquely identifies the entity.
- This service is offered for free to each and every person residing in India.And this is even made mandatory to each and every individual.
- Strict Bio-metric identification system ensures that each individual is assigned one and only one ID which decreases chances of duplicity.
- UID project issues a unique 12-digit identity number,called Aadhaar ,to the people residing in India.This is associated with both biometric and demographic information and hence will be followed by strict identity,age,address checks.
- This is issued to the citizens irrespective of their age.
- According to the notifications from ministry of communications and information technology and the ministry of finance, Aadhaar will be treated as valid proof of identity and address and accepted as an officially valid document to fulfill the KYC (Know Your Customer) norms while getting a new telephone connection, opening a bank account etc.
How to Enroll for UID Number:
- The applicant will have to go to any of the enrolling center and fill in the application form, submit all the required supporting documents and produce a photo then undergo biometric scans.
- Then the enrolling center will send this data to UIDAI database for verification.
- The system will perform de-duplication procedures.
- If the applicant is new to the database a Aadhar number is generated and mailed to the applicant in specified time.
- If the applicant is already in the database the application will be rejected and the same will be intimate dtoo the applicant.
Changing Your Information in UID:
- You are free to update or rectify any information that is associated with your UID number at any point of time. Based on the information that you are willing to modify the time taken for modification will vary.
- For minor changes you can call on the tollfree number or SMS. Click here for information on tollfree number.
- For changes related to address, mobile phone number changes you may have to visit the enrollment center.
Click here for Aadhaar address change.
Click here for Mobile Number Update.
Advantages of having UID Number:
- Having a UID number means having a single unique proof that serves all the purposes like for getting a mobile connection , gas connection,getting a bank account etc.
- As this holds all the information related to your address and identity this can be linked to any services that follow are use KYC(Kow-Your-Customer) norms while authentication.
- It can be shown as an identity proof where ever you are asked for.This helps any service provider to effectively verify and authenticate your details in a hassle-free and cost effective manner.
- This Aadhaar card can be linked to voter ID, Bank account,PAN card,Ration Card,LPG connection, Mobile connection etc.
- The UID number effectively rules out the problem of using multiple proofs for different purposes.
The data linked with UID will not be shared with any agencies,trusts,institutions or individuals.
Instead, a state of art authentication system is being implemented to ensure that no citizen’s data will fall in wrong hands.And it is safe and secure both physically and electronically.
Hope you got basic idea on UID number and how and where you can use them. Do share this information and keep reading our articles.