Digital Locker System is one of the recent benefits announced and to be provided by UIDAI and Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) for the holders of Aadhar Card. Aadhar is a unique number which is not only your identity number but it is useful in many ways – getting the subsidy on LPG connections directly in to your bank account, seeding Aadhar number with Bank account to get various subsidies available under various Government schemes directly your bank account, as a valid document of proof, etc. The Government along with Aadhar authorities made an announcement about a Central Digital Locker where you can store all your important documents of proof as e-copy; documents like PAN Card, Ration Card, Passport, University certificates, etc. In other words, these Digi Locker will act more like a net banking for our documents. The Digital Locker will be a secured dedicated personal electronic space available to all the Indians (maximum 1 GB of space) for storing the documents of resident Indian citizens. To get more information on how to link Aadhar with Digital Locker, please refer our this article over here.
Through Digital Locker, you can also e-sign your documents (it can act more like self-attested copies of documents of proof). The service is intended to minimize the use of physical documents within the Government Departments thereby reducing the administration expenses as well as the chances of documents getting lost or damaged due to natural or man-made calamities.
Digital Locker facility to be launched on 1st July, 2015:
DigiLocker System was just a name till date, but on 1st July, 2015, this system will be officially launched and inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. As is evident, the present Government is very excited about the Digi Locker facility citing the dual benefits:
- The turn-around-time for tasks involving Government departments will decrease – you can submit the e-copies of your documents online without running in to any delays.
- The Government departments will have a quick access to your documents and since there won’t be any physical document involved, there won’t be any chance of misplacing any documents by them.
Uses of Digital Locker facility for citizens & government:
- Aadhar services provide a secure access to government issued or important documents with the help of Digital Locker system.
- This facility aims to eliminate the to-and-fro use of physical important documents and will also enable the sharing of certified electronic documents through other government agencies.
- This Locker provides a personal e-storage space (10MB) to the citizens and may increase to 1 GB in near future but they need to link their Aadhar Numbers first.
- You can even share the e-document online with any registered department or agency requesting anywhere, anytime.
- This facility will be boon to government because it will reduce a lots of a administrative overheads of government departments and agencies which were created due to lot of paper work.
- A supportive, well-structured document storage which will make it easy sharing of documents across departments and agencies
- It will also ensure the authenticity of e-document and difference between fake and real documents.
- Digital Locker provides space in cloud directly is linked to an individual’s Aadhar Number.
Security of Digital Locker Facility:
Now, just like us, you too must be thinking that how secure is to save documents in Digital Locker?
The Government as well as UIDAI has been citing that the Digital Locker Facility the same standard of security that is used by banks and financial companies for their net banking and other transactional services. The only way to login in to DigiLocker is via OTP which is only sent to the users’ registered mobile number and email address. Visit Official Digital Locker Website for more details.
How will the DigiLocker look like?
Here’s what the Digital Locker will have once you login:
- My Certificates: This section will have two sub-sections / folder:
- Digital Documents: This sub-folder will have the URLs of the documents issues by the Government of India as well as other Government agencies.
- Uploaded Documents: This sub-folder will have all the documents uploaded by the Digi Locker owner. The uploaded file should not be more than 1 MB and should only be in the following formats: pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, bmp and gif files.
- My Profile: This page will display the complete information / profile of the user as available in the UIDAI’s database.
- My Issuer: This page will display all the documents issued to you by all / any Government agency.
- My Requester: This section displays the agency / person who has requested for your documents stored in Digital Locker – it will rightly list the requester’ name along with the number of documents it is requesting for and which ones are those.
- Directories: This page will display the complete list of registered document issuers and requesters along with their respective URLs.
Also here are a couple of screenshots of how DigiLocker looks like once you log in. Do note that we got these images via Google Images and http://www.basunivesh.com.
Do like and share the post if you feel it is important to know all and comment if you have any query..