Today every individual stores his / her important documents either in physical format or scans the original copy and saves them either on their laptops or desktops. But how far is it safe? Why don’t we use Aadhar linked DigiLocker instead, which the Government of India recently launched citing it to be a fully-secured digital documents vault. Now you might be thinking what is Digilocker? We have written this article to give you a complete information of Aadhar linked Digital Locker and how you too can get your own DigiLocker.
What is Aadhar linked Digital locker?
It is a personal storage space of important documents for the citizens of India who hold an Aadhar card. It is a safe digital locker, where citizens can store the scanned image securely. It is also termed as DigiLocker. Do note that it individual will have his own Digital Locker and only he can access it. DigiLocker has been established under the Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY), Ministry of Communications & IT, Government of India.
How does DigiLocker work?
To sign up with DigiLocker one must posses an Aadhar number / Aadhar Card. If you are yet to signup for an Aadhar Card, please refer our detailed help guide on how to apply for Aadhar Card. Once if you have Aadhar card, refer the below mentioned process to signup for your Aadhar-linked Digital Locker:
- Visit the official portal of DigiLocker over here.
- Click on the Sign Up or Register now.
- Enter your UID or Aadhar number in the given space.
- Two option ‘Use Mobile OTP’ or ‘Use Fingerprint’ would be given, choose any one. It would be appropriate if you choose ‘Use Mobile OTP’.
- Now choose your Username and password. your password should contain 1 alphabet, 1 numeric and 1 special character and it should be minimum of 8 characters
- Once the process is over you can save your documents right inside this safe and secured locker.
So, these were the simple steps to activate your DigiLocker account. Go ahead and signup for one now. DigiLocker is completely FREE for Indian citizens.
Who can apply for Aadhar linked DigiLocker?
Every citizen of India who has an Aadhar card and a registered mobile number with Aadhar can apply for Aadhar linked Digital Locker.
What are the benefits of Aadhar linked Digital Locker?
- It will minimize the use of physical documents and will provide authenticity to e-documents.
- It will also provide you a secure access to government issued documents.
- It will also reduce administrative overhead of Government departments and agencies and make it easy for the residents to receive services.
- It is free of cost; you don’t have to pay while signing up. While private agencies ask for a fee for the same service.
- The Digital Locker is highly secured; they used the same security that all banks use for internet banking.
- And the biggest benefit is that you can access it anywhere and at any point of time.
According to a survey, India has around fifty eight thousand (58,000) Aadhar linked Digital Locker. Each DigiLocker gives free space of 10MB to upload and store its documents but now Government is planning to increase it upto 1 GB. You can store any kind of documents like PAN Card, driving license, Voter ID card, any Govt. issued identity card, passports, birth and marriage certificates etc. You can scan your existing government issued documents of proof by using a simple and easy mobile scanning app called “CamScanner“.
DigiLocker has made easy accessibility to store documents securely.