On 7th June, 2017, the Income Tax Department urged taxpayers to link their Aadhar card with the PAN (Permanent Account Number) Card through usage of an SMS facility. Notifications and Advertisements have been issued by the department in leading newspapers where the elaborate procedure of linking the Aadhar to PAN is given. Also, the IT department has been sending out emails and SMS alerts to all PAN holders about the Aadhar Card PAN Card Linking.
Aadhar Card PAN Card Linking – Mandatory?
With effect from July 1, the Aadhar Card PAN Card Linking is set to be mandatory, for filing returns.
The chief motto of the government behind Aadhar Card PAN Card Linking is to minimise the fraudulent cases which have gained momentum. There have been cases of PAN cards being obtained fraudulently and this practice can be checked with the help of the Aadhar Card linking.
How Will Linking of the Aadhar Card and PAN Card Help in Catching Fraud Cases?
The Lok Sabha, on Wednesday, 7th June passed a bill which made the Aadhar mandatory to file income tax returns and to apply for a PAN card. In accordance to the amendments in the finance bill, taxpayers can’t file income tax returns from July 1 if they fail to quote the Aadhaar number or show proof of having applied for the document.
Presently, there are 250 million PAN cards which are mandatory for cash transactions of hotels or travel bills that exceed Rs 50,000. It is also mandatory to quote the number for purchase of jewellery above Rs 2 lakh either in cash or by plastic money, and while making large deposits in banks. However, according to the government, many of those PAN cards are duplicates or have been obtained through fraud.
“The government has proposed quoting the Aadhaar number mandatory for filing (IT) returns to eliminate discrepancies… many individuals hold multiple PANs and filing returns multiple times; once quoting of Aadhaar becomes binding, this problem will not be there”
– Revenue secretary Hasmukh Adhia said.
How to Link PAN with the Aadhar?
The next question therefore is about the procedure to link the PAN card with the Aadhar card. The official portal for doing so is https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ which is the Income Tax Department’s website. Follow the given instructions to know how to link PAN to Aadhar:
- Log on to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ and locate the link which allows you to link the Aadhar card with PAN card.
- Once you open the link, enter the details of your PAN card and your Aadhar number. Make sure you enter the exact name which is on the Aadhar and that all the other details are entered correctly.
- Click on “Link Aadhar” and the UIDAI will link the Aadhar with the PAN Card. In case there is a mismatch in the Aadhar name provided, an OTP will be generated.
- You will receive the OTP on your registered mobile number and email address.
- To ensure linkage without failure, the department has urged people to ensure that the date of birth and gender in the PAN and Aadhar card are exactly the same.
The Income Tax department further said that –
“There is no need to login or be registered on the e-filing website. This facility can be used by anyone to link their Aadhar with PAN”.
Till now, over 1.18 Aadhar cards have been linked with the PAN database.
Have a nice day!