A few days ago, we covered an article about on how to update your Aadhar Card Address. As it happens to be a fact, the Aadhar card holders may need to update other card details too. So in this article, we lay down the process of Aadhar card name change in 5 simple steps. There are again two ways for you to file a request for update of Name on your Aadhar Card, the first is the Online method and another is the Offline request way to change the name in your Aadhar Card. Let us first start with the details of the online process.
Aadhar Card Name Change Online – Easy Process:
To raise a request for updation of your name on the Aadhar Card, you can visit the UIDAI’s Self Service Update Portal and fill an online form. You must again, have a mobile number linked to your Aadhar Card. Here is an outline of the mentioned process in 5 simple steps: –
- Visit the Aadhar Self Service Update Portal. This portal allows you to update your Aadhar Card details like Name, Age, D.O.B, Address, etc. However, applicants must be aware that on this portal, only a request is raised for the updation of details and hence, the change in Aadhar Card name would not reflect immediately. This change is rather subject to the review of the Aadhar Card and UIDAI officials. Direct Link for Official Aadhar Card SSUP website: https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/ssup-home
- Clicking on the above link will take you to the instructions page that mentions all the requirements and steps for applying for Aadhar Card name change online. Make sure you read these instructions properly.
- After reading the instructions, you can proceed to the next step by clicking on the link CLICK HERE (highlighted in the above picture) at the bottom of the instruction page for Aadhar Card name change. On the subsequent page, you would be asked to enter your Aadhar Number (please make sure that you have a registered mobile number linked to your Aadhar number, otherwise, you would not be eligible for online updation). After entering the number and entering the verification captcha click on ‘Send OTP’. You would then receive a OTP (One Time Password) on your registered mobile number.
- On the next page, just enter this OTP and you’d be allowed to file an Aadhar Card name change request. You would need to provide certain details along with the description of the required change. Make sure that you carefully enter the new spelling of your name so that you don’t need to re-request a correction. Please note the following are the only details that you can request for a change in your Aadhar Card via the Self Help Update Portal (SSUP): Name, Date of Birth, Address and Mobile Number. For any other Aadhar Card detail that needs an update, you would need to visit your nearest Aadhar enrolment/update centre.
- Once you have filled in the details for the application form for sending an updation request for Aadhar card name, you would have to upload the supporting documents for the request to be valid. You can find the complete list of accepted / valid documents of proof for Aadhar Card application and name update over here.
- In the final step for filing an Aadhar Card name change application, you would be asked to select your BPO service provider and after doing so, you must click the submit button as a final step of the Aadhar updating process.
Change Aadhar Card Name Offline
Here are the few reasons for you to go for the offline method of changing your Aadhar Card name instead of the 5 step online process:
- When you don’t have a mobile number registered with your Aadhar card.
- When you couldn’t locate the required Pincode/Town/Village/City/Post Office/District/State.
- Or, if you are having trouble in translating details to your local language.
If any of the 3 cases are relevant, you may do away with the SSUP online update process and file your Aadhar card name change request through postal service. You can download the PDF form from the link below.
You need to take out a printout of the PDF form, fill it by hand (could be done at the Aadhar Update Centre itself). Also, make sure that you take along all the required documents that are acceptable as identity proofs, by UIDAI. The list of all these documents is given at the end of the PDF form, under the Annexure 1.
Do let us know in the comments below if you have any questions in regards to Aadhar Card name change.