Aadhar is a unique identity which is provided to every person who is the citizen of India. It is a 12 digit number which is issued by the government of India under the supervision of UIDAI. What makes this document even unique is the fact that every Indian, can have irrespective of their age. Even kids. Yes, Aadhar card for kids can be applied for kids as young as 1 year old.
The procedure is very simple and straight forward. Get the complete procedure and list of documents below.
Things to Remember before applying for Aadhar Card for Kids:
- Youngest Age of Application:
- Application for Aadhar for Kids can be done from the age of 1 year.
- UIDAI has also recently insisted that even newborns can get their Aadhar cards from Aanganwadis (आंगनवाडी) as well.
- No biometric for kids under 5 years:
- A child who is less than 5 years of age does not require giving biometric information.
- In that case his/her Aadhar will be linked to either one of the parent’s Aadhar, till the age of 5.
- First Biometric recorded after 5 years of age:
- The child needs to give the biometric at the age of 5 years.
- Second Biometric record at 15 years:
- Since the biometrics of a person constantly keep on changing with age, he/she again has to give his/her data at the age of 15 for the last time.
Documents required for getting an Aadhar for Kids:
Documents required for a kid’s Aadhar card are similar to the ones required for an adult’s application. However, do note that if the child is below the age of 5 years, the parent’s Aadhar card will be required as well, as the child’s Aadhar will be linked to either parent’s existing Aadhar cards.
Before starting, ensure that you have the following documents ready with you. These are mandatory for the Aadhar card applicants to carry with themselves at the time of application.
- Date of birth proof is mandatory for kids.
- Atleast of the parent is required to submit their Aadhar card.
- Parents are also required to submit proof of identity and/or proof of address.
Valid documents for Proof of Identity (POI) are as follows:
Verification is one of the important steps that the government does before issuing the Aadhar card. Any of the below documents can be used for verification. In this case the parent’s ID proof will be required along with the child’s birth-certificate.
- Child’s Birth Certificate and Parent’s ID proof such as:
- Driving License
- Voter ID card
Valid documents for Proof of Address (POA) are as follows:
Any one of the following documents are required to be carried by the parents applying for Aadhar for their child for address proof.
- Ration Card
- Photo Bank Statement or Passbook
- Credit Card Statement
- Water Bill
- MTNL or BSNL Landline Bill
- Electricity Bill
Procedure for applying Aadhar Card for Kids:
By following the steps mentioned below you can easily get your child’s Aadhar card.
The process for applying for Aadhar for kids is as follows:
- Visit the Enrolment Centre: Go to any authorised Aadhar enrollment center with parent’s identity and address proof.
- To locate and enrolment centre, click here.
- Fill the Application form: You can get the application form at the centre itself. However, if you need to fill the form before you visit the enrolment centre, you can download one from here.
- Submiting the form: Carefully check the details and attach the documents alongwith the form and submit the same at the enrolment centre.
- If your child is above 5 years, biometrics will be recorded. Or else, their Aadahr data will be linked to you existing Aadhar card.
- Acknowledgement Slip: After successful submission of the form and the documents, you will be givne an Enrolment ID on an application acknowledgement slip. Keep this safely as it will help you in checking the status or for future communication with regards to your application.
On successful verification of the documents submitted, you will receive an SMS/email confirming the processing of your application. After a few days Aadhar will be sent to your address by post.
In case you do not receive your Aadhar card even after 60 days of application, then you can check the application status from here.
If the status shows the Aadhar is ready, you can also, download the eAadhar card and take a print out. eAadhar is also a valid Aadhar. Follow the simple process mentioned here.
Importance of Aadhar Card in kid’s life:
Now-a-days Aadhar card for kids not only serves as an identity proof for the child, but also provides equal opportunity to every child in field of education, health.
In fact, almost every school these days insists on getting the Aadhar card of the child made, either before admission or within the first 2 months of starting their schooling. Having Aadhar data helps them links the kid’s records to a number of government departments and also at the time of boards and other university level exams, it makes it easier for them in processing the applications.
Aadhar for kids also helps the government to collect the information about children and maintain it in proper database. The complete record of the child can be accessed easily through the Aadhar card. It helps the government to know the number of students enrolled in the school. It is a significant step under the Right to Education Act (RTE).
By following the above steps and with the help of above documents we can easily get the Aadhar card for kids. However, this process may take 60 to 90 days.
For more queries or to find additional useful content on Aadhar card and UIDAI, feel free to explore the site.